Thursday, September 17, 2020

That whole blue sky thing is starting to be suspect

Well, the sky was actually blue today. You know, blue? The color it's supposed to be, according to all those picture books you had when you were a kid?

It's sad when 'adequate' air quality is exciting.

But that's not what's on my mind right now. 

I've noticed a thing going around the internet about a 25-day pushup challenge or something similar for mental health awareness. Call me crabby, but I have a firmly ingrained distaste for 'awareness' campaigns. We're all aware, believe me. You don't need to dump ice water on your head to prove that you're aware. It's not a competition. You don't need to be more aware than other people to prove a point.

I mean, you can, but no one likes a one-upper.

Here's the thing, kids. Awareness is all very well and good, but doing the Little Teapot dance for people with housemaid's knee is a bit like trying to fix the hole in the dyke with a stapler.

It accomplishes very little, really.

So here's my alternative suggestion:

-Call your pal who lives with a mental illness (or several). They'll appreciate hearing from you.

That's it. Seriously. Care for your people, people. And it doesn't have to be someone you know is living with rabid brainweasels. Some of us are really good at keeping it under wraps. Just make a bit of extra effort and reach out to, well, anyone, really.

Things are kind of awful. We could all use a bit of a pick-me-up. Hi, friends. I'm thinking about you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...