Thursday, June 4, 2020

“...it could be *more* on fire.”

So hey. As if everything that was already going on wasn’t enough, now it’s worse.

Because people are stupid and cruel.

It has been my long-held opinion that humanity is a blight and should be eradicated. Press the red button, please. Stop the simulation, the data is corrupt. Test subjects unfit to continue, terminate exercise.

SET IT ALL ON FIRE.

Of course, that’s kind of what’s going on right now, so maybe we’re finally on our way to the inevitable implosion. Am I the only one who would be relieved if we all just woke up tomorrow and had ceased to exist?

“Faz, you can’t wake up after you cease to exist.”

Don’t split hairs, please. You know what I was implying.

It’s just that existing is really hard right now. It’s hard for everyone, and especially hard for certain people.

Be there for your certain people. If you’re a front-liner, be a front-liner. Just do it safely, please. The Internet is bursting with information on the best ways to protest etc. without just barreling headfirst into the fray. Take precautions, have your bail money set aside, and for goodness’ sake, wear your mask. If you’re not a front-liner, boost the voices. Donate to the causes. Be an ear and listen.

It’s okay not to be okay. I’m definitely not okay. Between the effects of prolonged quasi-isolation and the existence of civil unrest in my community, I don’t think anyone would begrudge me my not-okay-ness. I’m writing this on Monday, 6/2. My office closed up at 3:30 today and we all went home, because there’s a protest being staged within a mile of my office. We’re less than a quarter of a mile away from a major transit hub, too, so there will likely be lots of activity there. There’s a big box store you can see from the freeway on my way home--it was boarded up completely. It gave me the same feeling as the cleared-out shelves at the grocery store those couple of days before the shelter-in-place order came down. Everything is out of my control right now, and there’s no end in sight. I’m not okay with this.

You know what else I’m not okay with? Murder. Call a spade a spade.

I’m feeling overwhelmed and anxious and powerless and frustrated. I’m not a front-liner. I’m trying to concentrate on what I can do. I can donate. I can signal boost. I can listen.

You wanna talk? Hit me up. Really.

But I’m swearing off social media for the foreseeable future, because it makes it worse. I swore off the news in 2015 and haven’t been back--I’m sure I can live without cat memes for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I can provide you with the occasional cat meme. I'm here for you, Faz.

    ReplyDelete

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...