Thursday, July 28, 2022

::plays Taps::

I start a new job in about three weeks.


My feelings are mixed. On the one hand, I’m glad to have something in place for when my current job “expires”. On the other, I don’t want the current one to expire at all. And yes, I know I bitch about it sometimes, but it’s work. Everybody bitches about work. Even people who really, truly love what they do for a living. It’s just that there’s significantly less to bitch about with my current job than there was with the last one (thank GOD) and I have never taken that fact for granted. It’s comfortable. I’m comfortable. But, alas, these halcyon days are fast disappearing, and all of us have to alight because it’s the end of the line.


The new gig is effectively the same as the current one, just for a different payroll service bureau. One of the bonuses of this is that it’s the service bureau my biggest client group has chosen to replace my current company, which means I’ll already have a handful of clients whose nuances I’m familiar with. They were the ones who got me in touch with the new company to start with. I’m really very grateful for that. 


It’s difficult, though, to get properly excited about something that you didn’t want to have to deal with in the first place. (And doesn’t that sentence just apply to SO many things…) I know that a lot of this malaise can be chalked up to the fact that I’m already so off-kilter from all of the nonsense this year has already flung violently in my direction. It really has been one thing after another recently. My major source of joy (not to mention quality social interaction) has been significantly curtailed what with that whole pinched nerve situation, which leaves me with far less of an outlet for the things that are eating at me—especially since the outlet has suddenly become yet another of the things that’s eating at me…at least to an extent.

 

I'd be grateful for a break, you know? Luckily I have a couple of one-weekers coming up on the calendar, which my new gig graciously honored. Of course, both of them are with my parents, but one can't win at everything, I suppose. It's actually a bit awkward, scheduling-wise, as I start the new job, have a week off, work a week, then have another week off, but oh well. I intend to make the most of my mostly-vacations-except-for-the-parents-bits. 

 

Providing, of course, that I have the energy to do more than stare into the middle-distance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...