Thursday, April 28, 2022

This sucks and I hate it

I have pinched my sciatic nerve.

I've basically been flat on my back since Saturday. My low back was a little tetchy after I got home that morning from substitute-teaching a couple of dance classes, but since that's not entirely out of the ordinary for me I didn't think much of it. Then, after a couple of hours, BAM! Major pain all down my right leg. 

I tried stretching. I tried child's pose. I tried standing, walking, sitting, and lying down. I tried ibuprofen. I tried acetaminophen. 

I gave up, and called the advice nurse.

They got me an 8am phone appointment on Sunday with a physician, who very kindly agreed with my assessment of what the problem was and sent in two prescriptions for me, to be picked up at the only open Kaiser pharmacy within a decent distance on a Sunday morning. 

On the first day, they accomplished nothing.

I woke up at three o'clock in the morning on Monday and was in so much pain I thought I was going to yak. Luckily, the doctor had said if the initial dose of the nerve pain killer wasn't enough, I could have another one, and that helped enough to get me through the rest of the night. At a socially acceptable hour on Monday morning I requested the information for a chiropractor from a friend and was able to get an appointment just before lunchtime. That helped a whole heap, but it didn't fix it 100%. I have to go back a few more times for follow-up adjustments, which wasn't a surprise. It did really help, though. And so did the increased dose of the nerve pain killer, but still not as much as I'd have liked, so I got on the horn with Kaiser again. We've upped the nerve pain killer dose, ditched the muscle relaxers as they had accomplished diddly-squat, and given me a new dosage and schedule for my ibuprofen.

Monday was a total write-off as far as work was concerned. Thank goodness I have the ability to work from home if necessary, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to work at all. My immediate boss, whose son has suffered from this same injury, has been very accommodating, as she knows just how much it SUCKS. I'm putting in as much time as possible, but sitting for too long is The Worst, so it's going to be a week of in-and-out for me. 

So, y'know, it's been fun around here.


Mandy - 🌿🦌🌿 (@cheerydeery) / Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...