Thursday, November 18, 2021

Coming soon to a Critter Nation near you!

So here's the thing. A few times a year, the rescue from which I adopt my rats has a surgery day. They work with one of the local community colleges that has a veterinary technician program. The rescue supplies the animals--guinea pigs and rats--and the vet tech students get hands-on experience. It's a beautiful thing.

There was a surgery day the other week. This means that the rescue had a sudden influx of neutered male rats. Why fix the boys and not the girls? It's easier. It's as simple as that. There's significantly more danger and possibility of things going wrong with the females. Not that there isn't a level of danger to the males, of course there is, but it's less. In any case, neutered males can mix with in-tact females and not make a million ratty babies. This is ideal when you happen to have one lonely female rat left from your last mischief who needs a friend, and you were planning on boys at some point in the future anyway.

Yes. Maggie has three new friends. I was planning on three boys, but there was a pair of brothers who were sweet as anything, so I took them and a little girl from a group that was abandoned on the steps of the rescue (some people need to fuck off and DIE). The bonding period was nearly immediate, which is unusual. Every time I've bonded a mischief before it's been a week of bloodshed and mayhem. This time, I think I heard about three squeaks, and none of them were the 'fuck you' squeak. They were more the 'hey, maybe don't do that, okay?' squeak. Everybody was in a pile in the hammock by the second day. It was some kind of miracle, and I'm not questioning it.

Now, y'all know how committed I am to my naming themes. The last group were all named for characters from The Powerpuff Girls. I still have Maggie, but I couldn't come up with another show or film with a Maggie in it that had other names that I liked. The Simpsons was right out. No way, thanks. I did toy with the idea of characters from The Ranch from Netflix because Debra Winger's character is called Maggie, but that ended up not really doing it for me either. It did remind me of a good film to pull from, though. Howard Hawks' 1959 cowboy classic Rio Bravo. The main trio in the film are all male, so I had to swap out one of the heroes for the love interest.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTRjZTJhZjgtZWM3OC00NzRhLThmYjMtNmEzOWVjOWYzMWJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc0OTEyNDU@._V1_.jpg 

Ricky Nelson's character, Colorado Ryan, got the shaft. Sorry, Ricky.

 

(Pretty sure someone doctored that poster, but I could be wrong.)

One more of the human gang:

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-o6vy9cv/products/144985/images/140823/177255__25330.1519410132.500.500.jpg?c=2 

And now, without further ado, I would like to present to you, taking over for Messrs. Wayne and Martin, and Ms. Dickinson, my new, all-rodent cast!

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here, in case you have any interest, is the original film trailer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...