Thursday, June 3, 2021

That's one way to do it

 This is a bit of a variation on a theme from last week--bear with me.

 I've been reading Antony Sher, right? Creative process. The makings of a production. The creation of a role. All things I used to get to do when I was pseudo-adulting in college, and then in grad school. I miss getting to really sink my teeth into a project like that. Research. Rehearsal. Debate. Crafting a whole out of hand-selected parts. There's nothing like it.

WELL.

 I follow the Royal Shakespeare Company on social media (because I'm a cultured nerd) and they've got something going on at the moment that has me split 50/50.

 https://www.rsc.org.uk/henry-vi-part-i

They're opening up the rehearsal process to the masses.

50%: This is pretty neat, actually. People will get to see what goes into the makings of these productions. They'll be privy to the exploration and the brainpower and the bloody hard work it takes to get a show on its feet. They might even gain a greater appreciation for the art of theatre and its process.

The Other 50%: The rehearsal room is sacred. It can be daunting. Things sometimes go very wrong before they settle into something performable. Bringing a character to life can be an extremely vulnerable experience that needs a safe space--it's difficult to allow for that when you know half the county is tuned in, watching your every move.

You see what I mean?

 The beauty of this experiment is that it is an experiment. They're not staging a full production. This will culminate in a dress rehearsal which will be live streamed. They're working under COVID constraints, so they're up against additional challenges like keeping the actors socially distanced. From the production stills, it looks like everyone is performing from their own 6-foot square on the rehearsal room floor. 

If it weren't for the time difference, my morbid curiosity might get the better of me and I might tune in. As it is, I'll be interested to read about how it turns out. I sincerely doubt that this is any kind of change of direction for the RSC insofar as their regular production process, which is likely a relief to many of the actors, but as a 'bit piece', it ought to be an interesting diversion. Maybe. Probably. Okay, my inner actor is squirming. What can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...