Thursday, February 6, 2020

“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”

I’m off on a new adventure, friends.

I started a new job this week.

I know some of you are sitting there going, “Oh, thank gawd, now she’ll stop moping and moaning and generally being a wet blanket.”

Weeell, let’s not discount that outcome completely, but for the time being, yes.

It’s weird having to start all over. It’s like the first day of school, except you don’t have the easy conversation starter of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox. Well...I mean, you might, but it doesn’t quite work the same way as a grown up.

Now I want a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox.

Anyway, the ‘starting all over’ bit is just really, really weird. It’s not bad weird, it’s just...weird. I mean, you’ve been seeing more or less the same people every day for however many years, you’ve been doing the same kind of work, parking in the same spot, drinking the same crummy coffee. And then you’re doing the same thing, only with different people, and a different parking space. But you have to re-learn everything, don’t you?

You might walk through the door with a whole pile of previous knowledge and experience (and if you aren’t doing that, then you’re an exceptional bluffer in interviews), but you’re still completely lost until someone points you in the right direction--usually with hours and hours of agonizingly boring and tedious training. And you don’t have anyone to talk to at lunch. And the coffee maker makes a weird noise if you don’t set it up just right.

Actually, none of those things has happened to me this time. Everyone has been lovely and reasonably talkative (but not TOO talkative), and the coffee maker works perfectly normally, and so far the training--while a necessary chore--has actually been, if not exactly exciting, informative and challenging and kind of like a big puzzle.

And I looove a puzzle.

I’m a bit tired at this point from all the newness--new schedule, new personalities to get used to, new...newness--so I’ll leave it here for the week. Brevity is the soul of wit, and all that.
 

I think this new gig is going to work out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

::does best ostrich impression::

So, I've been saying how everything is kind of a lot right now, right? I think I need to take a week or two off. I'm not in a good p...